Background, Sourcing, Business
Following the success of Freedom Finance UK, a JZ International (“JZI”) consumer loan origination investment from March 2000, JZI began targeting a similar strategy in Scandinavia, one of the largest regional consumer finance markets (per capita) in Europe. In 2003, JZI identified a small company in Sweden with an experienced management team that would serve as the platform investment for a strategic build-up in the sector throughout Scandinavia. This transaction was sourced via one of JZI’s preferred business brokers.
Renaming the business Freedom Finance Scandinavia, JZI imported systems and processes from its UK investment, quickly helping the new business become one of the leading unsecured loan brokers in Sweden. From there, JZI led a buy-and-build strategy throughout Scandinavia, identifying and closing a Norwegian acquisition opportunity and starting greenfield operations in Finland.
- Leveraged previous UK investment to provide systems and processes to Scandinavian business
- Led the buy-and-build strategy throughout Scandinavia, identifying and closing a Norwegian acquisition opportunity and starting greenfield operations in Finland
- Delivered new lenders to build-out supply side of the business
- Led the sale process of Freedom Finance Scandinavia to major private equity buyer
- On exit in May 2013, Freedom Finance Scandinavia was generating €25m of revenue and more than €7m of EBITDA